Friday, March 16, 2018

Doubt

I would like to start by saying that this assignment proved to be a hard one, never have written and blog or read a play in its entirety is a very hefty task. in my opinion after reading and trying to truly comprehend the play and its meaning I think that it was very long winded and kind of boring play. The play itself had many parts that could have simply been left out of the script altogether because they did not add to the effect or point of the play. Which made the play truly hard to read and stay with for me.

I think that in writing this play Shanley lack the element of climax. I was neither excited or intrigued by the monotone monologs given by the characters nor the way that the conversations between characters flowed. With that being said I do believe that the play brought to light a very serious issue that should be addressed with as much gusto as sister Aloysius attacked it with. I do believe that Shanley captured the essence of the attitudes of sisters and priest in parishes. Even though I do claim to be all knowing or even half knowing in this arena from experience and news this I what I understand the characteristics to be like.

As I read this play I really didn't know what type of journey I was being taken on and I kind of felt all over the place with the style of writing the playwright choose to use. It lead me to question why did he write in such and monotone way? Did he feel that his message what be more well perceived in this tone? Did he not want to overshadow the true meaning or purpose of the play with over the top actions and exaggerated emotions? Was this play to draw the audience to question more and feel less and to acting upon the things that you question? I also wandered was this a quite call to action on a topic that is taboo?

I do not feel like at the end of the play that I received an answer to all my questions but I do feel like it placed questions that have never occurred to be at the forefront of my brain. In the expression less, emotionless voice of Sister Aloysius I began to feel like I need to be more observant and aware of my surroundings. But, not only aware and observant but also act on what I believe to be an injustice going on in my presence. This play also made me to ask the question do you really have to step away from God in the pursuit of wrongdoings? I truly don't believe you do, I think that you can stand next to God and get to the truth quicker.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Quisha,

    I see what you are saying about the monotonous dialogue. A scene that comes to mind is when Father Flynn was talking about basketball in the gym. There was no action, it strictly read as a dry delivery of corny jokes and boring lines. Although, that scene could have been used to show that Father Flynn was pretty good at interacting with the boys, as Sister James insisted. I think that the meat of the play was in Father Flynn's sermons. As I was reading the play, I had a sense that Shanley wrote the play with two sermons in his mind. Almost as if, he wrote the play to show off his sermon ideas, because I thought they were creative, and well-written.

    I do not think that you have to step away from God "in pursuit of wrongdoings" either. I think that Sister Aloysius' lifestyle and worldview is ultimately what caused her to admit that she has doubts. Are these doubts about her philosophy of life? Or are these doubts strictly about the innocence of Father Flynn? I would think life would become difficult to manage, as it did for Sister Aloysius, if you are striving to be an ambassador for God, while holding onto judgment and a harsh demeanor.

    Thank you for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Trevor,

    I agree Sister Aloysius' life must be really difficult to manage because she has no room for grace in her life for others but I find it hypocritical that she can give herself grace when she "bends the rules" by lying to pursue what she believes to be the truth. Living in a world that is constantly changing everyday and developing new rules and new norms it seems to me that she could be doubting if her way of living is the correct way or is it worth it in the end.

    I agree his sermons were creative and that he seemed to highlight them as a means to share his on sermon ideas. thanks for your response I appreciate your point of view

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Quisha. I connect with your viewpoint. The play leaves the audience with doubt completely. I believe Sister Aloysius’s character influences the tone of the play. It makes her appear strict with no emotion. I want to mention when talking about stepping away from God when wrongdoing is involved. In my opinion, that section of the play means to recognize the wrongdoing and to not be naive to evil although it may feel like you are stepping away from god when doing so because Sister Aloysius mentions she is doing a service for God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quisha, You know, after I read your blog I realized that this was a difficult play to read. I found myself reading and re-reading the play because reading so many lines that began with Sister Aloysius and Sister James was extremely confusing! I ended up finding a video of the play and followed along in the book. I honestly believe that if I did not find the video I would not have the conclusions about the play that I have today. Although I did find the play intriguing at times the play was dry and seemed to carry on unnecessarily. Thank you for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete