I have never been that much into theatre before this
class but as I read the plays, watch the videos and converse with fellow
students I am now beginning to realize the connection between myself and
theatre. As I began reading this play l could immediately see that the tone was
completely different from the first play we read and reviewed, I found this
play to be serious and comical at the same time. Although it discussed very
serious issues and comforted real life situations it tackled the subject in a
way that would draw you in without even noticing that you have been drawn into
The tone of this play was very upbeat and inviting, on an issue that is very
hard hitting and heavy. I felt like the way the comedy was used in this play
made the subject matter very easy to digest, at times I forgot what the bases
of the play was. I feel like the play began very abruptly which was a ploy to
immediately grab the audience’s attention and captivate them. I do think that
the that entrance into the play worked because it had me questioning, what’s
going on here? This play intrigued me because it was very
theatrical and moved along very quickly,
At times I do however, feel that the comedy used to portray
the story overshadowed the topic at hand. The comedic lines many times made me
lose my focus and I’m not quite sure if this was a good thing or not. With all
the comedy and difficult language to follow I found myself going back to
re-read several passages and scenes. Since I’m not at all used to reading Greek
theatre the use of the chorus and Koryphaios really threw me for a loop,
because they are not actual characters but have lines and deliver a lot of
important parts of the play to the audience. I don’t quite understand the need
for the chorus but it seems to be a very common part of Greek theatre and maybe
used as way to also lighten the mood of the play.
Reading this play gave me lots of visuals as I followed
through. It was very easy to imagine what was going on and how the scene could
be setup. I feel like the playwright used the language and tempo of the play to
give visuals and allow the reader to enter the world of the stage without
actually being there. The feeling of this play is very open, it didn’t seem
cramped in the meaning of space and staging. As I read I imagined the lighting
being bright but not too bright. I often read the play in a humming/ singing
beat because that’s the way I feel that the lines were being delivered. I was
very close to a musical and lead me to question is this where the idea of
musicals originated?
At the end of the play I finished reading with a sense of
understanding of why the play was written and displayed as it was even though
it was an easy and hard read simultaneously. It really gave me a sense of how
things were in the Greek era with relation to the relationship between men and
women and the roles they played in the home and in society. Although much has
changed since that time a lot of things are still the same with respect to how
some men feel that women are to be represented or what positions they are to
hold. For instance, the scene in which the commissioner states that he would
not take orders from a woman, that can relate to the glass ceiling for woman
today in the workforce where men feel like a woman can only go so high mainly
because they do not feel that they should or could take orders from women.
Although not all the men feel this way many them did and this translates well
to today’s world. It also showed how much power women actually hold if they decide to recognize that they do possess power and are at liberty to use it. I think the balance between women and men was displayed greatly.
Hey Quisha,
ReplyDeleteI think the chorus is what separates Greek theatre from a lot of what theatre is today. Sometimes the chorus is a narrator, sometimes they vocalize the feelings of the audience, and there are other uses too; it just depends on what the playwright is attempting to emphasize.
It is funny that you mentioned that you read this with a humming/singing beat. I continually caught myself reading this as if the entire play was a poem. It could have been because of how the lines were broken up, but I'm still not completely sure.
I also posted about how a lot of the feelings and story is relevant to today. I think this makes it easier to read and relate to.
Thanks for your post!
I think you're absolutely correct, the relevance makes it much easier to read because you have something you can connect to and peeks your interest to see what will happen next.
ReplyDeleteI feel like the chorus in Greek theatre now translate to musicals in todays world. Some scenes are all song and some spoken, this to me reflects how impactful Greek theatre was and how deep the roots of it were.
Thanks for your comment.