Tuesday, March 27, 2018

"Everyman"

To start off I would like to discuss the setting and feel of the play. I feel like the tone of the play was very somber and dark. Not dark in the sense of cynical but dark as in sad and dreary. As I read the play the setting that my mind was placed in was a small, tight, very dimly lit stage. I imagined everything just being black and not much color on the characters or the stage. I feel like even the naming of the characters helped to set that scene of dark and loneliness. Sense death was a major part of the production, I feel like the playwright did a great job portraying that with the use of language and characterization.

By reading the list of characters before even reading the play I was able to grasp somewhat of a concept of what the play was going to be about and what the tone could possibly be. I think that the characters of the play are a lot of the things that everyman in the world puts before God at some point in their lives and is a very cunning way of getting the audience to see themselves in the play. The play and its' characters serve as a reminder to help keep your mind on what's truly important in life and that's God. Spending time with him, loving him, doing good to his people and making him the king of your life because at the end of it all the other things in life that we hold so sacred will all fade away and we can not take them with us when we die.

This play had a lot of great points and advice for believers of Christ and non-believers as well. It also had a great underlying message of salvation and repentance and what that means. I believe the playwright was letting people know that until you're actually dead you always have a chance to humble yourself, ask God for forgiveness and turn from your evil ways and seek God just as 2 Chronicles 7:14 says to do. I was also reminded of a lot of scripture as I read this play, it was packed with scriptural references for instance, when goods said that he had brought many to hell it brought to mind two Bible verses. First it brought to mind 1 Timothy 6:10 where the Bible states that the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. Then it brought to mind Hebrews 13.5 which says let your life be free from the love of money and be content with what you have. Some many people have forgotten this command that God has given the world and chase aimlessly after financial gain and forget all about God.

From this play we should leave off with the understanding that death comes quickly and the only person or thing that can control it is God. He is the master of life and death, he is the only one who will never leave you or forsake you no matter what as stated multiple times throughout the Bible. We have all one time or another put our desires, wants, people and material possessions in our lives before God and his will for us. This play serves as a self-check moment that should lead all to question, if I knew I was dying today how would I feel about it? Would I ask for more time to make things right or would I be able to rest comfortably knowing I'd be headed to heaven with the father? I think if you can say you're life has been pleasing to God and what his word says then that wonderful because all to often people wait until the very end of their lives to do good and seek God and sometimes it's too late because as I said before death comes quickly. So if anybody receives anything form this play or this blog I hope it's that we need to stop and take  time out of our "busy" lives to make sure we're pleasing God and not ourselves, God says seek him and his righteousness and all of these things will be added to you. That lets me know that there's no limit to what God will do for you if you just seek him first.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Quisha, I agree that this play brought many scriptures to mind! The message being portrayed was a powerful one. Every time Everyman would cry out to see who would take the journey with him one scripture kept replaying over and over in my head: "What good is it for someone to gain the world, yet forfeit their soul?" (Mark 8:36).

    I also believe that God's hand is not short and that people can be saved as long as they have breath in their lungs! It is a matter of choice. How we decide to live this life God has blessed us with. We can do anything with it but we reap what we sow. That is what the message of this play conveyed.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Quisha,
    I too got the same thing out of the play. We never know the day nor hour, so we have to be ready at all times. We have to want and embrace change no matter how difficult it may seem. He will never lead us somewhere and leave us. He sees us through all things. We just have to not take our eyes off of Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Quisha,
    You know I never thought about it but I when I was reading the play I did envision a dark, grim location. I also agree with your revelation of biblical references. It makes me think perhaps the author was a priest or elder of the church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Quisha,
    This play had so many biblical reference that one could refer to. Even though this play was written long ago it speaks to the same place in our hearts has it probably did those in the playwright's audience long ago. What a concept to be able to hear death knocking on your door notifying you that God is summoning you to stand before him and give an account of the life you lead while here on Earth. And even more astonishing is asking some friends of yours to accompanying you to the grave! I really enjoyed your post and how you described what your mind's eye saw on stage of this play. It leaves the audience to question their on behavior and the appointed time before "Our Heavenly Father." I believe it was a big request to ask of anybody. I did see that the theme of greed, riches and possessions will separate us from God if we let it.

    ReplyDelete