I originally struggled with deciding what to research for my paper because I had no idea what I wanted to read or write about. I had to really dig deep to decide what I felt passionate enough about to write about. I'm also taking Basic Research Skills and wanted to be careful not to overwhelm myself with too much research between the two classes. I finally decided to do something similar to the research that I am doing for that class and that I am very passionate about. I decided to do my research paper on, how integrating multicultural counseling practices into counseling services offered to African Americans will positively affect their perception and attitudes towards counseling.
I feel very passionate about this topic because I now live in a community that is predominantly Black and I see the overwhelming need for mental health and counseling services. I see the stigma and attitudes that African Americans have towards seeking help in the counseling field. I am also a witness of the overwhelming lack of counseling services available in my community. The very few services that are available are not relatable to the people they aim to assist; because of this disconnect African Americans are not inclined to seek out the mental health care that they are in need of. I really hope to change that in some type of way one day soon. I am in school now to learn and grow so that I can be part of the change that I want to see in my community and others like it in regards to counseling and mental health issues. I would also like to help remove the stigma and negative attitudes towards help-seeking and counseling and I feel that implementing multicultural counseling practices will greatly help close the gap between African Americans and the mental health services they need.
I believe that counseling benefits in so many different scenarios and that it truly helps people. I think this is a good topic and I am excited to hear your presentation.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Jackie, counseling benefits you in so many different ways. It is awesome to know that you are passionate about that and want to help others. Cannot wait to hear more about it in your presentation! Good job
ReplyDeleteI love your topic because this is very true. The need for these services is tremendous! I am looking forward to all things you have to say on this topic in your presentation.
ReplyDeleteI have noticed that men in general to have a bad perception on the idea of getting counseling. I am very interested in hearing your ideas for integrating culture in counseling.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Ali. I think men see counseling as some kind of weakness, and heaven knows, many of them could benefit from it (no matter what race they are!). I'm looking forward to your presentation too!
ReplyDelete