Friday, April 20, 2018

Doll House

I would first like to start my blog about this play saying that it was more interesting and captivating then I imagined it would be. I really didn't know what to expect going into reading the play but I'm honestly always a bit skeptical about reading plays because they're so long and often uninteresting unless you have genuine love for plays and play writing and I personally have neither. With every play that I've read I go into it with a thought of what I think the play may turn out to be about and how the story line will go. The thought I had originally for this play is not what it turned out to be to my surprise. I would have never predicted the plot of this play to be what it was.

When beginning this play I immediately was put in the time frame of the 1800s when the relationship and responsibilities of men and women were so rigid and cut and dry. The men had the power and the "brains" and the women were mere accessories to the men they were married to and nothing more. Often times being talked down to and mocked by their husbands and made to believe that's the way it was supposed to be and that it was all out of love and playfulness. I don't agree with this way of thinking and I'm personally glad that time has passed, presently some situations have reminded us of time but nothing has come close to the rudimentary way of thinking that the people in this era thought.

I feel like the author was a feminist and displayed his thought on the view of women and the truth that women are capable of the things that men are capable of very well with this story and how Nora saved her husband's life without him knowing and handled the responsibility that she put on herself without any of his help. It really showed the strength of the woman and the ability that she has to think for herself and her family. I think her husband's attitude towards her was very selfish and in my opinion not that of a husband but that of a owner or ruler. he had no concern for her well being once he learned of her "wrong doing" only of himself and he tossed her away when he thought she would bring him any misfortune, that in no way is how a husband and wife is to be. 

I was completely shocked by the ending of this play to think in the era of the 1800s that a woman would be so bold to talk to her husband in such a manner and then to leave her home and her security for a world unknown. I think that further showed the courage of the woman and truly displayed the feminist theme of the play. I think that this play was well written and could be re-produced time after time because there are still people who think in the way that they people in this play and there's a message that could be told to people of all time periods. Women have rights and shouldn't be treated as second class citizens or inferior to men in any way shape or form and should be given the opportunity to think, work and thrive just like a man can.

I was really entertained by this play and delighted to see the plots rise and fall and the ending. Even though I enjoyed the play and being intertwined in the story line, I'm still not that big of a fan of reading plays versus viewing the play in live action. I think it's mainly because of the length of the plays and the lack of interactivity. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Quisha, I agree that this play was much more interesting as far as the storyline goes because of the language. I was also relatable in that the themes such as the oppression of women in those times and the strength of women. I find it interesting that you mention the author being a feminist - I agree that his view throughout the play portrayed women as having a voice and worth. I was also shocked how the play ended only because of the time it was written. The late 1800's wouldn't have seemed like such a good time for women to express their boldness as Nora did. I enjoyed following along with the script while watching the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Quisha,

    I enjoyed reading your take on this play. You mentioning it possibly being written by a feminist was something that caught my attention. I never thought of it in that way, but understand where you are coming from. I also agree with you and the time frame you envisioned it to be in. Thankfully we as women have come a long way. It's sad that women were and somewhat still are looked at as unequal to men, but yet many women maintain many more roles in a day than men. You pointed out Torvald treating Nora as his "ornament" was well put. She seemed as if she was scared to ask him certain questions and be herself. I didn't like the outcome either, but I agree with you that this would be great to see come to life. It could go so many different way.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Quisha,
    I agree with your statement “I think her husband's attitude towards her was very selfish and in my opinion not that of a husband but that of a owner or ruler. he had no concern for her wellbeing once he learned of her "wrong doing" only of himself and he tossed her away when he thought she would bring him any misfortune, that in no way is how a husband and wife is to be” I believe that Torvald saw Nora as something like a trophy wife. She seemed charming, playful and carefree. Characteristics which were not the norm in the 1800’s due to societal standards for behavior. I also cannot believe how quickly Torvald turned on Nora dispite the reason that she took the money in the first place was to save his life. His reaction made me think that he saw her as replaceable. Then when she turned the tables and proclaimed that she was leaving the family he seemed to panic. Knowing that they both would discard the other easily makes me believe that the relationship may have cracks in it that were not talked about in the play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're absolutely right, I think this relationship had many other issues that the playwright had in mind but did not put into the play but wanted to somewhat get that idea across to the audience subtly.

      Their ability to discard each other so quickly and without hesitation baffled me and Torvald's reaction to his wife's decision to leave made me think of something one of my friends said to me, "men can dish it but they can absolutely not take it."

      I think the playwright may have been writing from some form of experience, maybe something he saw mixed in with a little of his imagination.

      Delete